Thursday, February 14, 2008

A "Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day"

When I was a little kid we always read the book "Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day" by Judith Viorst. Today I felt like Alexander.

My day started off real good - Mike came home and bought me something for Valentine's Day (I told him not to get anything) - it was a dozen chocolate covered donuts from Plehn's Bakery! YUMMY! He said it was the perfect v-day gift for a pregnant wife! He was right!

Well, back to the horrible parts of the day. We have felt a significant decrease in the twins movement the past few days and have been more concered as the days go by. I felt at first that they had just switched positions and I just wasn't feeling them where I normally feel them. I would try to lay real still and shake my stomach but we still couldn't get the little guys to wake up and kick. My mom mentioned that it might be the Tylonel I have been taking that is making them sleepy. So, I stopped taking tylonel, but we didn't get enough movement to feel like they were ok. Today Mike brought home a fetal heart monitor from a co-worker and we put it on this morning but couldn't hear Jeremiah's, so I just couldn't try to find it anylonger and I told Mike that we would just call Dr. Nett and see if we can come in to monitor them.

So I go to work and the girl I work with just had her baby on Tuesday and so she is not there and the kids have been wild! They know that Laura is gone and that she is not coming back. We have a new teacher in the room and she is really going to be good with the kids, but she is new and the kids are well aware of that. I also had another teacher in there that wasn't much help and, quite frankly, made things more stressful and overwhelming for everyone. I was on OVERLOAD of emotions and stress and didn't get a chance to call the Doctor until 11. When I did call them they wanted me to go straight to Labor and Delivery Triage to get monitored there. After I went through issues with the insurance company on pre-authorization and dealing with getting my class situated so I could leave, Mike and I left for the hospital.

Once we got there we got the run around on where to go and finally made it to L&D and was just wishing I could just see my doctor - well, Lo and Behold - there she was. We turn the corner and Dr. Nett is in the front desk and looks at me and I just start crying (overload on emotions - remember?) Mike told her what was happening and she took us where we needed to be and got us settled in. We love her!!! They hooked me up to monitors and did a Non-Stress Test (NST). They immediatly found Jeremiah's heart beat and took a little bit to find Michaels, but they did. Then they kept me on the monitor for a while to check their movements. They moved the whole time and I felt only 3 or 4 of their movements. Dr. Nett thinks that they have found themselves in strange positions and that they are kicking at one another and not me. It is comforting to know that they are kicking around, but it is going to be hard to know when to come in and when not to. The nurse said to lay on my left side and drink something sweet and cold, and after two hours of no movement, then come in. Hopefully they will switch positions soon and start kicking me more!

Feeling better, I was talking to some people about how much better I feel and someone said to me "Yeah - now you don't have to walk around wondering if you are carrying around dead babies!" I replied by telling her that you don't say that to pregnant woman and I had to leave the room.

It was not a good day, but I am thankful that the boys are ok and that they are kicking one another! My poor boys will come out bruised, I am sure of it!

2 comments:

Leah F said...

Molly-
I am so sorry about your terrible, horrible, no good day yesterday, and that people are not more thoughtful before they speak. I will be praying that God gives you strength and wisdom to know when to be concerned, and peace to trust Him during this time. My best friend is pregnant with twins and cannot feel one of the babies at all because of the position of the baby and the placenta, and it is a regular worry and concern for her. I will be praying that the boys move and start using you as a punching bag again--that will give you much more comfort, I am sure!

Anonymous said...

I wrote a comment on your last post-but I am so sorry to hear it has been so rough this week... It will get better soon-and it's almost time for you to quit too!!! Just keep pushing through. I'm praying for you! And come see me soon!! :)