Saturday, May 10, 2008

HAPPY ONE MONTH BIRTHDAY!!!

The boys have turned ONE MONTH old today! Tomorrow is their official due date (Mother's Day). They are now "suppose to be here"! That phrase was used a lot in the medical profession in regards to our boys - "They're not suppose to be here." Yes, I understood what they meant - but to me they were suppose to be here. The Lord chose for them to come 4 1/2 weeks early on April 10th, 2008.

We went to the doctor today to see the pediatrician and the lactation consultant. They are growing so quickly - our little four pounders have now reached SIX pounds - Michael is 6lbs2oz and Jeremiah is 6lbs1oz. Our little boys have also outgrown preemie diapers - what a milestone!

I had mentioned to the doctor about how the boys have been arching their backs more and crying in pain while we are burping them. He changed Jeremiah's reflux medicine to something stronger and decided to put Michael on it as well. This medicine is a powder that we have to add in their milk and it is NOT cheap (after insurance it was $40 per child per month!!!) He also wants them to continue to get Simply Thick in their milk a few times a day (which is also $40-$80 - These boys are going to have to get a job SOON!:) ). He suggested doing Simply Thick at night since we are sleeping and won't have a constant eye on them and put them to the breast during the day. He didn't indicate how long we would have to continue on all these medicines. Hopefully, the older they get, the sooner they will outgrow this.

One thing that has us concerned is that the past two days Michael has had PROJECTILE spit ups! I thought it was normal baby things that happen but mentioned it to the doctor just to be reassured. Well, this concerned the pediatrician. He said that it could be a disorder (I can't remember the name) that appears around this age where a muscle is not working properly on the lower end of the stomach. If he does it again this weekend or does it for a few days in a row then he wants us to call and they will send us downtown to have some testing done on him. They will have him drink this liquid and do x-rays to see how it flows through his body - if the muscle is not working properly then they will do surgery to correct it. We are praying that he doesn't do it again!!! Please pray for him as well - he has been rather uncomfortable the past few days with reflux and gas.

One more update: breastfeeding - it still SUCKS!!! If I wasn't determined I would have quit this about 2 weeks ago. The yeast infection is still there and gets better and then the next day will be worse then before! I have been breastfeeding them together every time the past two days, but towards the end of the day I feel very sore and I feel like the yeast is worse. Last night we decided to breastfeed during the night since Mike didn't have to go to work and could help me. Whew - what a night! The breast that had mastitis still has a low supply so Michael nursed on that side at 2:30am and I tried to put him on the other side but he was so tired that he didn't go - then he cried until 5:30am. Then Jeremiah had that side at 5:30 and once again I tried to put him on the other side and he cried until 8:30am! At the doctors we found out that whoever is on that side only is getting about an ounce and a half. So we now know to follow with a bottle or work real hard at getting them on the other side. The have done well throughout the day and I think we will still be doing bottles at night with the simply thick in it until my supply is back up on that side. I just have a hard time because right when I get encouraged about breastfeeding and I feel like we are making progress things get painful again. I don't know if am going too quickly into it or what.

Well here are some photos for you guys! Enjoy!

What a messy eater!
"hmm.. Let me think about that!"
This picture was taken right after Jeremiah (right) spit up ALL over Michael - he doesn't seem to mind

3 comments:

Hayden's said...

The boys are adorable...did you get my email about the motherlove nipple cream? It has really helped me with the pain.

Anonymous said...

Happy Mother's Day/Due Date...isn't it weird that they were "supposed" to be born today, but are now a month old!?! That was weird for me, and Josiah was only 2 weeks early. Keep up the good work with breastfeeding-I know it is so hard, and you have really had a tough time, but it will get easier-especially once everything heals up. :) We will be praying for Michael-and the spitting up...are you keeping him upright for at least 30 minutes after feeding him? Even during the night-I would try to keep him upright for at least 15 minutes-I know that is torture and seems like forever when you are exhausted-but would be worth it if it helps... That is what Dr. Livera suggested I do for Josiah when he was spitting up so much. And that seemed to help a lot... Also is he burping well for you after eating? Josiah wasn't burping for me, and I just thought he must not be taking in much air since he was breastfeeding, but now, I just have to pat his back for up to 10 minutes sometimes to get the burps out-and it has helped a lot too. Just a few thoughts that might help. Good luck! :)

Anonymous said...

Sounds like they are doing well.

Are you wearing nursing pads? If you are try changing them every time you nurse. If they are wet the yeast love that!

Try to make sure they are dry at all times to help keep the yeast down.

Hope things get better in that area really fast for you